Each October, U.S. medical professionals congregate for sessions, certification and socials at the Medical Group Management Association’s (MGMA) annual conference. This year’s “premier healthcare event” — MGMA17 — provides both standard and specialized content for all industry affiliates from CEOs and medical directors to office managers and students. With wide-ranging educational sessions, a platform for networking, and an exhibit hall showcasing the latest medical tools and services, MGMA17 is a must-attend conference for medical professionals.
MGMA17 is set for October 8 — 11 in Anaheim, California. The extensive schedule includes:
- Thousands of healthcare leaders in attendance
- 175 sessions with 9 content areas
- The ability to earn up to 51 hours of educational credits — Continuing Professional Education (CPE), Continuing Education units (CEU) and American College of Medical Practice Executives (ACMPE)
- An additional 14.5 hours of educational credits available through pre-conference programs
- Networking sessions — Consulting, Date 1:1 and Round Table sessions
- More than 250 exhibitors
For a sneak peak of MGMA17, professionals can view the preview webinar and review the conference brochure. Those who are unable to attend may register for MGMA 2017 Monday Live, a live stream of one general and five featured sessions.
Cutting Edge Educational Content
Over 40 speakers who are “medical practice management thought leaders” will deliver quality educational content on current business strategies and trends. Attendees are encouraged to pre-register for all sessions during the registration process. To create a personalized session schedule, refer to the itinerary builder. Sessions are divided into nine content areas:
- Practice Transformation – Brave New World focuses on analytics and data reporting.
- Practice Efficiencies explores innovation and optimization of Information Technology (IT) along with space and facilities planning.
- Financial Management reviews Revenue Cycle Management (RCM), medical conditioning and documentation and the impact of value-based payment models.
- Personal Growth and Leadership provides tools for leadership and personal professional development. Enhancing the Patient Relationships dives into patient engagement, team-based care solutions and patient safety.
- The Independent to Integrated Pendulum investigates the changes, challenges and benefits to independent, hospital and integrated practice models.
- Human Resources and Staff Engagement equips HR professionals with the knowledge to successfully recruit, train and retain employees.
- Federal Laws, Regulations and Advocacy presents government regulations, programs and federal and state laws that govern the healthcare industry.
- Government Affairs spotlights MGMA’s advocacy efforts.
Each session will fall under one of the five learning levels — overview, update, basic, intermediate and advanced. While there are no prerequisites for overview and update sessions, attendees must possess a “fundamental knowledge of medical group practice management” for basic and intermediate sessions and a “working knowledge of medical group practice management” for advanced sessions. There is no advanced preparation required to attend MGMA.
MGMA sessions will be delivered in three learning formats. Traditional sessions provide a lecture-style presentation by a single speaker or panel of speakers followed by a question-and-answer portion. Expert facilitators will guide interactive sessions with discussions on hot topics and case studies. Extended sessions mix both traditional and interactive formats to offer 120-minute sessions focused on practice management.
Recommended learning pathways supply medical professionals with tailored session lists based on job titles. For example, MGMA suggested the following strategic leadership sessions for CEOs, CFOs, COOs, CIOs, CMOs, CNOs, medical directors, presidents, vice presidents and executive directors:
- B06 – Pyramid Your Practice to Success: It Starts in the C-Suite
- D07 – Stark Law and Value-Based Reimbursement
- E01 – Back to Balance: Healers, Merchants and Thieves
- H09 – Paying for Call: Balancing Competitiveness with Regulatory Compliance
- J03 – Value-Based Physician Compensation and Dashboards
- K03 – Creating an Integrated Leadership Model
Exhibit Hall Events
Attendees who collect signatures at each booth highlighted on the exhibitor trail map can enter to win one in five $1,000 prizes. The exhibitor trail map is included in the annual conference planner. During the grand opening on October 8 at 4:30 p.m., professionals may participate in the match, mingle and score event. Attendees match their lei color to an exhibitor’s to win tickets redeemable for a variety of prizes. The exhibit hall will also host Healthcare Innovations Pavilion Presentations, Career Center Live presentations and MGMA Learning Pavilion presentations. For a complete list of exhibitors, consult the interactive floor plan map.
Business-Enhancing Resources for Medical Professionals
MGMA17 aims to improve professional and business performance within the medical field. The annual conference will present professionals with an educational platform on leading approaches, current hot button issues and more.
As a leading financial services company, CrossCheck designs payment processing tools that help increase sales, mitigate risk and save time at medical offices. MED-RDC allows medical professionals to streamline payments through electronic processing, only paying for guarantee when needed. The service also offers processing for insurance payments, daily online reporting and guarantee features for patient payments. Download our free guide to learn more.